Tuesday, July 30, 2024

AUGUST 2024 BLOG - REFLECTIONS YARO

 



CRAETIVITY AS A CORE VALUE





Dear Reader,


Last week I was part of a group of artists that had an exhibition at the BRISBANE INSTITUTE OF ART curated by Gemma Garcia my dear partner. I am now reflecting on the experience we all had producing our own representation of the Spanish/Catalan  artist - JOAN MIRO.

I was very inspired painting my own representation of Joan Miro, as one of the greats in the history of art who clearly demonstrated his core creativity as an artist.


Therefore, my own reflections are included here as a way of being interviewed regarding CORE CREATIVITY as  a main VALUE we carry when we are involved in ART.



CORE CREATIVITY – YARO STARAK

 

A DEFINITION: A book by  Robert E. Franken: “Creativity is defined as the tendency to generate or recognize ideas, alternatives, or possibilities that may be useful in solving problems, communicating with others, and entertaining ourselves and others.                                         

 Was creativity valued and encouraged in your home or in school when you were growing up?

Answer: As a child growing up in times of WWII. I do not remember anyone encouraged me to be creative (as per definition) but be creative to survive times in refugee camps and then school in Venezuela a new country of residence for 8 years.


      Who inspired your creativity when you were young?  
       Answer: My uncle (my mother’s brother) who was a journalist and writer and he introduced me to classical music.
      What kinds of dreams and daydreams did you frequently have as a child and in adolescence?
Answer: Most dreams were about the war times, my father who died in communist jail and dreams of success and travel.
       What sort of encouragement, if any, did you get at working at your craft and being creative?
Answer: I do not remember any kind of encouragement outside my mother who kept encouraging me to study and get to University.

       What sort of hard work, rituals and discipline went into working your craft?
Answer: Mostly study at high school and university. 
       Have you ever hit a block or felt you were idling spinning your wheels creatively?
        if so what did you do to break through? Answer: Not to my knowledge
       How do you know when to shift from crafting something to walking away from it for a while or getting some new ideas from someplace else to shake things up.?
    Answer: Usually take time off and do something else and not feel frustrated.
   Do you feel your creativity was a gift and did it flow naturally, or did you have to work it or both?
   Answer: It all came naturally and spontaneously.
   Have you found the creativity you use in your art helps you in the other areas of your life: strategizing about your career or being in a relationship, is there a cross over? Can you tell me about the crossovers?
    Answer: My artwork came late in my life. Painting started when I retired from teaching at the University. I was inspired by an old mentor and later by the Australian artist Ben Quilty.
   Are there times in your life where you are more or less creative, and do you see any patterns there When you feel less creative what do you do?
    Answer: I take time to get involved in other things like private therapy practice and writing books and writing poetry.
   Do you do something specific to enter the zone - what we call core creativity, or does it happen naturally? Or do you do something to set you up to enter the zone.?
    Answer: Usually my creative urges come naturally and spontaneously. When I get inspired (soul work).
   Does any form of meditation and or spiritual practice play a role in your creative process.? Answer: I explored meditation practices for many years and even visited spiritual (Tibetan and Zen)groups but now do not feel a need to meditate to be creative or enter the zone of creative work.
   Do you ever feel that you are tapping into a source greater than yourself? Are there specific things you do to set the stage for that?
   Answer: My greatest mentors are the spiritual teachers like Dalai Lama, Bill Plotkin (soulcraft) and the many Zen teachers.
   How do you let go of any fear that you can’t top a prior greatest success and keep creating? Answer: The idea of SURRENDER is my guide.
   How does creativity play into your capacity to be collaborative?
    Answer: I spent most of my teaching career working with groups and teams. I really enjoy a group that inspire each other.
   Is there anything you want to say about creativity and your creative process before we end this interview.?

Answer: I am attaching an article on: Art and Creativity in Gestalt Therapy by:  N A N C Y  A M E N D T - L Y O N, Ph.D. That is very creative and inspiring.

 

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/31220728/art-and-creativity-in-gestalt-therapy-gestalt-international-study.






 

 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment