Tuesday, December 15, 2020

JANUARY 2021 - BLOG




 

 

A LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS

 


Dear Reader,

 

As we are coming to the end of an exceedingly difficult and critical time that began with a global pandemic and then huge fires in California and Australia, you are invited to reflect about what it takes to survive physically, mentally, and spiritually.

As I reflect upon the great events in Nature while walking in the park near my home, or just sit on my veranda watching the sunset, or experience the light of the full moon at night, I become aware that every living being (from a virus to a whale) is filled with organic change and movement.

In our human experience, we can go through loss, suffering, pain, and all sorts of difficulties that seem to be a constant everyday occurrence. Meeting these difficulties, whether big or small, it is imperative to understand that these are not only outer changes and shifts but also, they are in our own inner nature.

As a psychotherapist with the gestalt orientation, I meet many people in my practice that are full of grief, anxiety, fear, loss, and many turbulent emotions that are carried inside. It seems like the Soul itself is crying for a solution. Yet, most people simply want to run away, blame others, and feel unlucky because they are not healed.

Working with a therapist or taking time for some meditation, or simply walk in a park (preferably barefoot) connects us with the place within that has all the solutions necessary to resolve most if not all our difficulties.

This ‘Journey of the Soul’ offers us important lessons and even amazing “gifts” that in time, will transform our lives. We all have the capacity to heal. We are a self-regulated organism, but we must take time to discover that all experiences, may they be good or bad, are lessons that lead to healing.

As preparation for this blog, I came across a book sitting on my shelf called: A LAMP IN THE DARKNESS by Jak Kornfield Ph.D. Jack trained as a Buddhist monk for many years in Thailand, Burma, and India. I became a follower of Jack’s writings when I was interested in Buddhism some years ago. Now I am happy to connect with his teachings again. I remember what Buddha said: “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”.

Here I will not comment on the book but do recommend all readers to purchase this book. The Kindle edition is only $12.34, and the paperback is $34.90. This is a great read for the new year and for your own ‘Soul Craft’ work. The paperback book has a wonderful CD of meditations that are coordinated with the teaching. Here are the titles of the meditations:

1.       SHARED COMPASSION – a guided practice for planting the seeds of Compassion and opening the heart to all living beings.

2.       THE EARTH IS MY WITNESS – a meditation to establish firm footing amid the darkness of the soul.

3.       THE PRESENCE OF FORGIVENESS - known as the only medicine that can release us from the past and begin anew.

4.       THE TEMPLE OF HEALING – a guided visualisation to meet your inner healer.

5.       EQUANIMITY AND PEACE – a meditation to maintain a balance and acceptance regardless of your situation.

I am very indebted to Jack Kornfield by reading his books and meditating on my own journey through the WII as a child in Europe, my learning and healing time during the immigration to Venezuela and then Canada. Finding a place of peace in Australia and a partner who is a great support and, I am grateful to my two sons for being well.

To finish this reflection, I am quoting Jack from his book:

“Every life is filled with change and insecurities, and every life includes loss and suffering and difficulties that arise regularly. We are all nomads in an everchanging world, and we need ways to ground ourselves and remain cantered no matter what happened.”

 

 I WISH YOU ALL THE VERY BEST FOR THIS HOLIDAY SEASON - HOPE FOR PEACE AND PROSPERITY.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!




 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment